Dysport is a simple, effective, non-surgical treatment that works by relaxing facial muscles, thereby reducing and smoothing away frown-lines and wrinkles. Dysport, like Botox Cosmetic® is a protein extracted from the bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. The Dysport protein was initially used for the treatment of motor disorders and various kinds of involuntary muscular spasms, including cerebral palsy.
Dysport was originally to be licensed in the United States under the brand name Reloxin. Most articles pertaining to this drug in the United States referred to it as Reloxin. The FDA mandated that the drug be branded under its original name, Dysport (rather than Reloxin) prior to its April 2009 FDA approval.
The FDA has approved Dysport to treat forehead wrinkles and frown lines, making it only the second drug to be approved by the agency as a wrinkle treatment.
Like Botox, Dysport is administered via an injection at the site of forehead wrinkles. According to Ipsen Biopharm Ltd., which makes Dysport, the FDA based its approval on clinical trials involving about 2,900 people at 80 study sites.
One clinical trial showed 93%-95% of participants noticed an improvement in the appearance of forehead wrinkles within seven days after treatment, and multiple treatments produced effects that lasted for more than 3-6 months.
Dysport treats deep lines and wrinkles by immobilizing muscles, similar to Botox. Developed in the United Kingdom in the early ’90s, Dysport has been used overseas for many years. Dysport was approved by the Federal Drug Administration in April 2009 for the treatment of head-and-neck muscle spasms and deep lines between the eyebrows.
What You Need To Know About Dysport Vs. Botox
* Dysport is made from the same botulinum toxin Type A as Botox and is injected in the same way as Botox. Both work by temporarily immobilizing muscles, which reduces lines and furrows.
* Dysport is injected around expression lines — the creases caused by frowning, scowling, smiling or looking surprised — to diminish their appearance or keep them from forming.
* The three most common areas for Dysport injections are between the eyebrows, the forehead and next to the eyes, where “crow’s feet” form. Dysport can improve your appearance and prevent the formation of deep expression lines that make you look older. It will not help fine lines or wrinkles that are not due to facial expressions.
* Dysport has fewer proteins surrounding the toxin and so should stimulate a weaker immune response to break down the toxin. This may make it a good choice for Botox patients who find Botox no longer works because their body has developed antibodies.
* Dysport is said to be slightly cheaper than Botox. Just having a competitor to Botox may bring prices down.